Hope everyone is enjoying there winter!
Hello and Happy New Year From Southern Oregon!
How are you? We hope you are all having a great winter! At the moment I am taking a break from end-of-year accounting so my head does not explode (writing this and thinking about spring is way more fun).
Our winter has been really busy and filled with a ton of different projects. We are working on new permits and a possible new river, on making our overnight trips even more comfortable (3” sleeping pads!!!), testing our new meals for 07 (a.k.a. dinner parties:), getting more inflatable kayaks and developing more “IK Friendly” itineraries (people are loving the kayaking), and of course getting ready for Chile in February.
Below there is more info on all the projects keeping us busy and of course a run down on our spring trips (spring is our favorite time of year). Bookings for all of these trips are already coming in and some dates are filling up fast so if you are interested give us a call or an email.
We hope to see you this spring!
Pete and the staff of
Momentum River Expeditions
The California Salmon
Every spring starts with this one. It is our favorite and we can’t wait! The Salmon is one of the most spectacular rafting trips in the country; it is world-class whitewater in our back yard. The canyon is spectacular and the rapids are amazing; it’s a magical place. This year we have some additions to our trips. The first is that we will hopefully, forest service permitting, have a “permanent” base camp in one of the most beautiful sections of the canyon – this means more amenities (like a sauna!) and more comfort. Also, for the April and May start dates we have added a 3-day option that includes a day on the rarely run class V Scott River. This makes the trip one of the premier class V adventures in the country! The Salmon has a relatively short season and the trips are booking up fast. So, even if you are just interested but not sure yet drop us an email or give us a call with a date range so we can warn you if the trip starts getting full.
There is more Cal Salmon info at the California Salmon Rafting Page.
The Owyhee River – The Grand Canyon Of Oregon
We have two trips:
The Lower: a 5-day wilderness journey through one of the most remote canyons in the continental U.S. with hot springs, beautiful side hikes, petroglyphs, and fun mild rapids (a great family option). We have trips scheduled in April and early May
The Middle: This is one of the most exotic and rarely run river trips in the country. It combines dramatic dark sheer canyon walls, big rapids, and it is even more remote then the Lower. One of last year’s trips was featured on OPB’s Oregon Field Guide. This is a true wilderness experience. Like the Salmon these trips are already filling quickly. We have trips scheduled in April and early May.
For both of these trips other spring dates are available for groups of 8 or more.
There is more Owyhee River info at our Owyhee River Rafting page.
We had an unbelievable Scott season last year and it is quickly becoming one of our favorites. The Scott is an incredible and seldom run river with very technical and continuous class IV and V rapids and a beautiful canyon. We have made the Scott a standard option on our April and May Cal Salmon trips and it can also be run as a one day.
There is more Scott River info at the Scott River Rafting page.
Lower Klamath Early Season Inflatable Kayak Trip
The Lower K is a beautiful down river trip (meaning all of our gear is in rafts and each night we camp along sandy beaches) and its rapids, while mild in rafts, are perfect and exciting for inflatable kayaks. We love inflatable kayaking and guests that joined us last year have been raving about them. It’s just you, your kayak, your recently learned skills, rapids at “face” level, and guides leading the way giving you tips, encouragement, and a helping hand when needed. This trip is a great chance to learn a new skill and see an amazing stretch of river at higher flows, when nobody else is around, and when the canyon is full of spring color. We have a June 16th date set for a spring kayak trip and all our summer dates are open for kayaking.
Read more about Lower K Inflatable Kayaking
“Build Your Own Trips”
One of our goals when starting Momentum was to run lots of small custom trips. Well, it’s happening and we want to keep it going! If you have a group of 8 or more give us a call and we can help you build your own trip. You can mix and match, we do airport pick-ups, etc. One of the more popular ones last year was a 4 day trip that included 3-days of inflatable kayaking on the Lower Klamath and 1-day of rafting on the Upper K.
– We have a downloadable printable brochure – You can print the whole thing here, or each rivers page has a link to the brochure of that river. They are pretty!
– More comfortable trips! – This has been one of our biggest winter projects. 3” sleeping pads (its like sleeping at home), new tents, new showers (that really work well), and little kitchen gadgets (like a portable blender for morning smoothies!).
– A New Trip? – We hope so! We are working with the Forest Service and Local residents on a permit to start running inflatable kayaking trips on the Applegate River. Hopefully we will have it this summer. Here is a quick blurb:
Applegate Inflatable Kayaking – Class IV
It’s just you, your recently learned skills, rapids at “face” level, and guides leading the way. Pilot your inflatable kayak through two intimate and beautiful rapid-laced mini gorges. Trips are small, unique, and exciting – an “off the beaten path” experience offered only by Momentum. Great for experienced & first-time paddlers in good health. Ages 12+. Offered June – October..
– Website Updates / Fancy Newsletter – Our website is always getting better (we hope) and there should be lots of changes in the next few weeks. Including video!
– Environmental Stewardship – From the beginning we have been active in the environmental community both locally and nationally. But now that we are more established we really want to take it to a new level in the coming years. This year, among other things, we are getting more involved with Green Tags and will become a member of 1% for the Planet. The book “Let My People Go Surfing” by Patagonia founder Yvon Chouinard has really re-energized and re-inspired us all.
– Erik Meldrum in India – Erik is one of our guides and also takes most of the beautiful photos you see on our site. He is in India for the winter and rumor has it he may be doing a slideshow presentation this spring.
1 866 663 5628